Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

1898: Stanley River Provisional School opened under the Public Instruction Department with an enrolment of 24 students.

1909: Stanley River Provisional School becomes Stanley River State School.

1935: Construction of Somerset Dam began but had to be suspended due to WW2.

1935-1953: At some stage during these years the School was relocated 1km up the hill on higher ground due to the construction of the Dam.  This new land was aquired by the department off the Kunde family and a new section of the Esk Kilcoy road was created. The school buildings and principal house was relocated on the back of the Teichmann family log trucks and driven uphill to its current site.

1947: Enrolment 18 students.

1948: Construction work of Somerset Dam resumes.

1953: The structural work of Somerset Dam is completed. 

1957: The controlling agency name changed to the Education Department.

1973: Stanley River State School closes with an enrolment of 12 students.

1975: On the 9th of July the Stanley River Field Study Centre was established on the old school site. This particular site was selected as a Field Study Centre due to the surrounding district offering a wide range of natural and human-modified environments suitable for outdoor and environmental education activities.

1990: The Field Study Centre becomes Stanley River Environmental Education Centre.